First Look: 2015 Hot Wheels Porsche 934 Turbo RSR...


So is it Blackbird?

Well, no, because that was a 1987 Porsche 930 Turbo.

So was it inspired by Blackbird?

It seems that could be the case.  It was in fact designed by Ryu Asada, who has already played his Japanese street racing card with the Honda Civic EF.  Blackbird is a legend, and its driver as mysterious as a black Porsche racing through the night can be.  Why wouldn't Ryu pay homage with the second color of the 934?

When we first showed the black 934 here at Lamley, the Blackbird references rolled in.  Now I can act cool and say I have known what the Midnight Club and Wangan Midnight and the Devil Z are for years, but I can't.  I had no idea, so the reading began.  We suggest you do the same.  

And while I am in no way an expert, I did learn enough to come prepared to ask Ryu if the black 934 was in fact a tribute to Blackbird.  I saw Ryu at JCCS, and I asked.  His answer?  Ah, interesting, but no.

After all the research.  I was prepared to be able to go with Ryu deep into his explanation that yes, it is Blackbird, and here is why it is important to me.  I was ready to not give Ryu a blind nod, trying to act like I knew every reference he was making.  I was ready to get it.  Alas, the answer was no.  I'll file that back into the brain, and save it for when I need it again.

But Ryu did give me a reason why the latest color is black.  To do that we have to go back to the orange model, which is in stores now:


It truly is a blissful model.  Ryu's attention to detail is all over it.  All you have to do is look at the real thing:


Fantastic eh?  Ryu's strength has always been making a $1 model look so much better than a standard $1 model.  Of course that dedication to detail can also drive him crazy.

Look at the two photos above again.  What is the most prominent part of the real car that is missing from the Hot Wheels? 
Black trim.
And I am sure after reading that, you are all saying, well duh!  A $1 Hot Wheels could never carry that much deco.  Tampo passes are limited, and that would require several.  A premium model, maybe, but not a mainline.
Well, of course, but that doesn't mean Ryu doesn't want it there.  It looked a little naked to him.  So how to you remedy that?  Make the model black:


Problem solved.  Look at all the black trim!  It is all there!  Ryu can sleep now.

So is it Blackbird?  Of course!  If you want it be.  Black trim and all...


Hot Wheels Porsche 934 Turbo RSR (2015 Hot Wheels Mainline):























Previous Post
Next Post
Related Posts

1 comment:

  1. Thank you 4 telling me that it is the legendary "Black Bird". That was the first impression in my mind when i got my first look of it!! Now, we really want the Devil Z !!

    ReplyDelete