Friends, I'm out. It is time to move away from unauthorized sneaks on Lamley...

The Nissan Fairlady Z appropriately debuted on Japanese Nostalgic Car by Jun Imai
There is a growing problem in our hobby, and I want to make sure that what is done here at Lamley doesn't perpetuate it.

After much thought, from here on out Lamley will no longer show unauthorized sneaks peeks.  And by unauthorized that means photos of models stolen from the factory and leaked online through sources not authorized by Mattel.

And the problem isn't necessarily these sneaks, the problem is stolen goods.  More and more stolen models are appearing on eBay, but we already know that.  The growing problem is on Facebook and, even more so, on Instagram.  An increasing number of stolen models are appearing for sale or trade on Instagram, and many of those stolen items are here in the US.  If you see a Super that isn't out yet, it is almost certainly stolen.  If you see a mainline model on eBay or Instagram that has real riders, it is the body of a model stolen and fitted with wheels it is not supposed to have.  If you see something that isn't out yet called a "prepro", it is most likely a stolen body with real riders added.

If someone is touting multiple 2016 Supers for sale right now, they most likely, and maybe unknowingly, have stolen goods.  They might have come from someone who is a legitimate seller, but if the models are traced all the way back, they will come up stolen.  If it seems to early to see these models for sale, it probably is.

The exception would be models in the hands of licensors who have an exclusive deal with Mattel, like Falken Tire, Greddy, and Japanese Nostalgic Car.  Licensors will get a batch of their model early to use for promotions or other purposes.

And that is one of the reasons Lamley will no longer show sneaks.  It should be the privilege of the licensor to show the model they worked with Mattel to make, not this blog.  Moving forward I don't want to take that away from them.  If they contact me and want to use the blog to get the word out, I would love to show the model, and even photograph it.  And once the model has been unveiled through proper sources, I will most certainly pass the info along.

It is also not fair to Mattel.  These models are the product of much effort by many people, starting with the designer and expanding out to all kinds of folks.  It should be unveiled the way they plan on unveiling it.  If that involves Lamley, like with some of the RLC models the last few months, I am thrilled to be a part.

Lastly, I don't want to be, or even perceived to be, a part of the stolen model problem.  The sneaks I have shown in the past have always been photos that I have found, or that were passed on to me, but even then the models are most likely stolen.  If my sneaks persuade someone to steal to get their photograph out, I don't want to be a part.  And if my sneaks motivate people to pursue models illegally, I don't want to be a part of that either.

Ultimately, Lamley was formed to be a place to celebrate our hobby, and not just from the perspective of the collector, but from the car enthusiast.  Collecting little cars can be such a joy, and that is why I continue to do what I do.  I love little cars, I love talking about them, and I love photographing them. I love breaking news, but only if it is appropriate.

This is a decision that I have come to on my own.  This is a Lamley decision, and no one else's.  This may not seem like a big deal to many of you, and that is fine, but with the confines of what I do, I need to let the world know.

Sneaks will still come to Lamley.  I have some RLC models to show off when the time comes, and I am incredibly excited with some of the Matchbox previews that will come in the future, including another 2016 model to be previewed tomorrow.  I also will continue to publish the Mattel-approved Ambassador Reports, and pass along any news that breaks appropriately (Maybe at JCCS this weekend?).  And when the model is in store or listed by a legit seller, you know I will get the word out.

But Lamley will continue to be about the models.  I just recently upgraded my photo setup to try make my photos look better, and look for more developments with Lamley in the future.  I hope you continue to come back to read about all kinds of cool stuff, whether it be Hot Wheels, Matchbox, Tomica Limited Vintage, Kyosho, and on and on.

I will also support those legit sellers in the business, like my partners Wheel Collectors and Japan Booster, as well as anyone trying to raise money appropriately in the ebay marketplace.

Yes, this is a rant, but this is something I have thought about a lot, and feel good about.  If anything, I have more space and time for features.

I welcome your comments and concerns.
Previous Post
Next Post
Related Posts

0 komentar: