Buy them all? What would you do if you encountered 72 Super Treasure Hunts?


It was quite a day yesterday as the story of the 72-Super TH find in Florida spread like wildfire all over this beloved internet.

When I put the story together the night before, I wondered what the reaction would be.  Would it be disdain for supposed theft in Malaysia?  Or questioning whether this story was actually true?  I figured there would be a strong reaction of some sort.

But once it posted, one element of the story dominated the conversation:

"Why did Zack buy all 72?  Would you have done the same?"

As soon as words like "greed" and "scalper" were used, things took off.  Some were perturbed that Zack left with all of them, others celebrated it, and others questioned the folks that said they would have left some.  Needless to say there were some strong feelings all around.

So, why don't we ask?

Would you have bought all 72 Supers?  And if you did, what would you do with them?

We are not going to do a poll, because frankly the percentages are of little interest to us.  We just want to hear what you would do.  Do you buy them all?  Half?  A couple?  And of those you buy, what will you do with them?  Sell them?  Give them away?  Keep them?

We want your answers.

But let's try and keep this a no judge zone.  Those that said yesterday that they would leave some?  Why not believe them?  And those that said they would buy them all?  Does it really make you mad that they would do that?  It is easy to judge what others would do, and make them out as bad guys or good guys, but does it really matter?

What matters is what you would do.

So to start, and to really test you on the no-judging request, how about I say what I would do?  Here is goes:

I would buy them all.  Every single one.  I have never left a Super behind, and finding 72 of one would not be an exception to that rule.  Finding a Super is such a rare occurrence, that every one is an instant memory.  I can look at every Super I have and tell you exactly where and what time of day I found it.  It is part of the joy of the hunt.

And it gets better.  What would I do with all 72?  I would keep them.  Every.  Single.  One.  In fact, after gathering my thoughts, and after buying all 72, I would put them in my car, and return to the toy section to see if I could find a store employee and try to find the box they came in.  If I was successful, I would repack all 72, and make that one box one of the most unique parts of my collection.  It would be a conversation starter for sure.

To me, it isn't about having 72 of the same Super in my possession, it is about the unique story of finding 72 in the same store at the same time.  You have heard the stories before.  Everyone who gets lucky tells where he or she was, what the circumstances were, and how many they found.  Every Super find has a story, and this would be the grandaddy of them all.  And I would like to have the actual subject of that cool story.

That is what I would do.  Ok guys, try not to judge.

Yeah, I have always promoted the idea of leaving the Regular TH's behind, and many of you have noticed my one-and-done approach to most models lately.  But Supers?  That is a different story.

There, I was honest.  We hope the rest of you can be too, and we would love to hear what your plans would be.  We won't judge, because we can sympathize with just about every approach.  Nothing wrong with making a few dollars for whatever purpose, or making friends by giving them away, or delighting the next collector by leaving some.  Just let us know.

Incidentally, the person who it actually happened to, Zack, is now down to 3 Super 8 Crates left.  The 69 others were given away as gifts to friends and fellow collectors, or sold for a minimal price to those that inquired about them on Facebook.  Zack never put them up for sale, he just answered those that asked.  That is pretty cool.  So now you know what Zack would have done.

You?
Previous Post
Next Post
Related Posts

0 komentar: